Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Finally Finished...

A while ago I wrote about some fun things I found at the thrift store and I even posted pics of my treasures. I had a crafty plan for both finds, but have only finished one...what can I say, I am a busy gal. Okay, so here it is, finally...an after picture. This started out as what I would call a message board(?) but it is now a unique, shabby shelf that will look so fun in my daughter's room.




The first thing I did was sand the piece...I did not take a picture of this step because, let's face it sanding is boring and not much to look at. The second step was panting...I chose a really bright aqua color...which I love...I didn't worry about painting neatly because I knew I was going to paint over the aqua with white, which is what I did next.


After I painted it white, I took sand paper and started sanding along the edges and in other random places on the shelf to give it that worn, shabby chic feel. At first I was planning to keep the cork board, but then I decided I didn't really like it and I wasn't really going to use it, so I got rid of it.
It was not a fun chore getting the cork off the back of this, in fact it was a complete pain! I took a trip to my favorite store, my mecca...Hobby Lobby and got some really cute scrap book paper. I cut the paper and glued pieces together so that it would be a perfect(well, close to perfect) fit for my shelf. Then I glued it to the back and sprayed the whole thing with a flat, clear finish(Krylon).
































I will try and get my second project(jewelry box) finished soon. It needed quite a lot of sanding(boo!) and I have been busy. I am hoping to get some paint on it this week...Hoot! Until we meet again...happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin